Hidden amongst the hype of the iPad mini and new iMacs, and MacBooks is a significant update to Final Cut Pro X, on top of RED camera support, it received new features galore to enthuse even the most anti FCP X person.
These are my long awaited picks:
Paste attributes window lets you choose specific effects to copy between clips – at last
Combine audio from multiple angles within a Multicam Clip – no more work arounds
Dual viewers, each with a video scope display, let you compare shots to match action and color – excellent – a trick from the Lightworks camp
Freeze frames to your timeline with a single keystroke
Drop shadow effect to adjust position, edge falloff,
Chapter markers in the timeline for export to video files, DVD, and Blu-ray disc
Compound Clip creation in the timeline now saves the clip in the Event Browser for re-use in other projects
There are also updates to Motion and Compressor.
Final Cut Pro X 10.0.6:
Other than RED camera support, with “native REDCODE RAW editing and optional background transcode to Apple ProRes,” FCPX also got a new unified import window, MXF plug-in support, including the following:
• Expand multichannel audio files directly in the timeline for precise editing of individual audio channels
• Unified import window for transferring media from both file-based cameras and folders of files
• Redesigned Share interface for exporting projects and range selections to one or more destinations
• RED camera support with native REDCODE RAW editing and optional background transcode to Apple ProRes
• MXF plug-in support that allows you to work natively with MXF files from import through delivery using third-party plug-ins
• Dual viewers, each with a video scope display, let you compare shots to match action and color
• Option to add chapter markers in the timeline for export to video files, DVD, and Blu-ray disc
• Range selection now preserves start and end points in the Event Browser and allows you to create multiple range selections on a single clip
• Paste attributes window lets you choose specific effects to copy between clips
• Flexible Clip Connections allow you to keep Connected Clips in place when slipping, sliding or moving clips in the Primary Storyline
• Add a freeze frame to your timeline with a single keystroke
• Drop shadow effect with intuitive onscreen controls to adjust position, edge falloff, angle, and more
• New controls for combining audio from multiple angles within a Multicam Clip
• Compound Clip creation in the timeline now saves the clip in the Event Browser for re-use in other projects
• XML 1.2 featuring metadata import and export for richer integration with third-party apps.
The Motion update: 5.05 – gives:
Improved anti-aliasing to increase text sharpness
Now open more than one project at a time with copy paste between.
The Compressor update: 4.05 – gives;
Improved Cluster setup
Allow additional encoding clusters without re-authentication
I will report, in a post, on the improvements – very soon.
Watch this space.